Sunday, May 19, 2013

Another Day, Another Medieval City...

We headed to Nyon (a city that actually is pronounced pretty much as you'd expect) today.  It's a town on the lake on the way to Geneva.  I've seen the exits to it as we've driven back and forth (it's just past the exit to "Gland" on the way to Geneva...) and today we stopped there.

They were having a local festival of some sort.  There was wine tasting up in the castle in the upper town and down on the waterfront there was a brass band, boats, open air restaurants, and displays of all sorts.  As tourists we did the expected thing and wandered around looking at stuff.  It was fun.

A highlight was when Paula and I stopped for a knockwurst (one of those white sausages) and a beer at one of the open air restaurants that was temporarily set up on the waterside.  Delicious!  I think my "tourist method" could best be described as "sitting on city park benches eating an ice cream bar" or "sitting at outside cafes eating a sausage" or maybe, "loitering in cathedrals or ancient ruins imagining the past".  Of the three, I like sausage time the best...

We wandered around the city a bit and the waterfront as the cloudy skies spit down some Seattle-style rain (enough to notice, but just short of get-out-the-umbrella).







Teo enjoyed a toy train ride.


The rest of us enjoyed watching people (especially with interesting hairstyles)...



And for my pirate friends that play Eve Online with me I found this "Bar des Pirates"...


And this nicely named street...


Yarr!

1 comment:

  1. les gens qui regardent one of my favorite activities!

    ReplyDelete